Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Chewy Molasses Crinkles

I have been looking for the perfect cookie recipe for a few days now. I either wanted a crispy, chewy chocolate chip, or molasses. I LOVE molasses cookies. Well, I didn't have any gf/df chocolate chips on hand, so I went for the molasses.

A couple weeks ago I had ordered some coconut flour and I really wanted to use that in the cookies. So, I have spent the past couple days searching for a molasses cookie recipe that uses coconut flour. I found a few recipes, but they either had other flours blended in, or used a lot of eggs. Not what I was looking for.

So, I got out my handy dandy Betty Crocker cookbook, flipped to the molasses cookie recipe, studied it for a minute, and made some changes! yikes! I am a follow-the-recipe kind of girl, so this was a little scary, but I figured if it flopped, it would at least taste good, and I could crumble it over some coconut milk ice cream or something... :)

I am so pleased to announce that it was a success!! Score one for me!! I'll just post the recipe as I made it to save you from the details and methods behind my madness...

Chewy Molasses Crinkles (gluten and dairy free)
3/4 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. melted butter or coconut oil (I used 1/4 c each)
1/2 c. molasses (I used blackstrap, regular is fine)
2 eggs
3/4 c. coconut flour,sifted
2 teas. baking soda
1 teas. cinnamon
1 teas. ginger
1/2 teas. cloves
1/4 teas salt
granulated sugar

  • Heat oven to 375.
  • Beat brown sugar, melted butter, molasses and eggs in a large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed. Stir in remaining ingredients, execept granulated sugar.
  • Lightly grease a cookie sheet, or line with parchment paper.
  • Drop spoonfuls of dough into small bowl with granulated sugar. Roll to coat in sugar.
  • Place balls on prepared cookie sheet.
  • Bake for 9-10 min.
  • Remove from pan to wire cooling rack.
And a couple pics of my girls, because they're so funny.. :)





11 comments:

  1. I love molasses cookies too! Those look yummy. Can't believe how big the girls are getting. Love the hats... and the sunglasses. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've probably already seen this Karen, but I found this blog that has lots of great recipes... Mennonite Girls Can Cook. Noticed they have a section of gluten free. Thought you might be interested.
    http://mennonitegirlscancookglutenfree.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I hadn't seen that site, it looks great! Definitely some things I want to try there! Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried these cookies tonight and they didn't turn out :( Is there a typo with the amount of flour? The dough was really runny and baked into a mush. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just tried this recipe and after having the same problem I put the dough in the fridge for a few days out of annoyance. Bought some white flour to use the molasses cookie recipe on the back of the jar.... the recipe poster (Karen) DID NOT list chilling the dough as a necessary step. The Molasses jar DOES. My remaining 4 cookies look WAY better in consistency than the rest of the (aggravating, infuriating, runny cowplop-looking, fast-burning) dough.

      Delete
    2. This happened to me too, I just kept adding more coconut flour until it was a consistency for rolling into balls. My husband and I didn't care for this recipe much. I think that maybe there needs to be some oat flour or rice flour added, and not just coconut flour.

      Delete
  5. So sorry they didn't turn out! :( Coconut flour is tricky depending on how you measure it, it can be measured loosely or packed slightly or more. It sounds like you need to add more flour. The dough should be stiff so that you can scoop it out and roll it in the sugar. Let me know if that works for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you measure the flour before or after you sift it? I am having trouble.

      Delete
  6. I can't tell you how much we loved this recipe. We're celiac, and I've been using coconut flour for years, and I've had good success with everything but cookies...they usually come out like dry flavorless little pucks. I decided to give these a try because they LOOK like "real" molasses cookies. As soon as I tasted the dough, I knew they would be great. I did add vanilla, and I doubled the ginger so it would be more like a ginger molasses cookie. Apparently I have a problem following directions ;-) These came out cracked and glistening with the granulated sugar, just like molasses cookies should. They tasted perfect...not like dry coconut flour. I am in love, and this will be my molasses cookie recipe from now on--I'm going to put it in my "keeper" recipe book. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I follow directions more as guidelines and added a tablespoon of cashew butter and teaspoon maple syrup and 1/4 cup teff flour. They are still super runny! I even stuck the dough in the freezer. I shall see if that works. Did you mean 1 3/4 cup coconut flour? Same as above, wondering if it's a typo. The dough tasted alright but super molasses-y. I'm not real happy with the brand I got. Really I'm just trying to get more iron into my diet and can't stomach a tablespoon of that stuff everyday and of course, I love cookies.

    ReplyDelete